Sunday, January 24, 2010

1-24-10


     Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday - I woke up super early again today - like 4:30 and just could NOT get back to sleep!!!   So as I sat with my warm mug of Pumpkin Spice Green Mountain coffee lightly sweetened with stevia and dash of almond milk I did some journaling and came across this quote: "Every journey begins with a single step." I thought about this for a while and realized that this is my motivational quote for the week.  I sometimes think that looking at recovery in terms of the big picture can sometimes be so overwhelming.  Going to therapy appointments, trying to make major food changes and breaking daily routines can all seem so overwhelming!!! What do I do first - stop calorie counting? add more calories? try new foods? add more healthy fats? go out to eat more?   for me trying to "answer" all of these questions can be quite overwhelming  - so much to the point where you don't want to even try any of them!!!
           That is why I like this quote - it makes me realize that the journey to recovery is an ongoing process - as they say "Rome wasn't built in a day" and I know that my Eating Disorder did not develop overnight - that said it will take time .  That is why I believe that each day for me i will try and take one small step - whether it be trying pizza for the first time (like i did last week) or just having that extra snack during the day - each of these 'steps' will bring me that much further up the stairs to recovery.
          Yesterday for me overall was a good day - made a Whole Foods run and stocked up on some essentials:

                                                                 

Oikos plain Greek yogurt, Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal (love cinnamon), organic raisins, bananas, blueberries (so sweet right now), Galaxy Granola "Not sweet vanilla" (if you haven't tried this brand i highly recommend it - lightly sweetened with vanilla - perfect for my yogurt messes!!), Pacific unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and of course oats!!!   Other not pictured items included: sweet potatoes, quinoa, eggplant and black beans.

I love black beans and sweet potatoes.  Last night for dinner I made black bean tacos - easy and simple.  You simply sautee a small onion, red pepper cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic in a saucepan - once cooked add rinsed black beans and fresh tomatoes.  Sautee till warm.
I swerved mine in Whole Foods corn tortillas and topped with fresh arugula and a dollop of greek yogurt.  Last night I actually used fresh roasted red peppers that i had roasted the other day - i highly suggest roasted peppers!!
      Well I hope everyone has a positive and fun filled day!!!!  
        xoxo aimee

7 comments:

  1. ok... so I love all your foods! Thats pretty much what my groceries consist of too! Add tons of nut butters and nuts and thats my pantry. The quote is very inspiring and so true. I know I cant be suddenly recovered but I can meet my meal plan TODAY! And you can too... Love your uplifting blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee,
    happy sunday i hope you are having a great day, its so rainy here :( blahhh!
    ah love your groceries, those are like all of my staples too!
    i know what you mean about recovery starting will a single step, such a inspiring and true quote, recovery is so confusing and just how anorexia isnt developed overnight one cant recover overnight either, so i know its all so so hard, but things will hopefully all fall in place for all of us. :)

    love you,
    xx
    Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recovery can definitely seem overwhelming at times, and there's nothing wrong with taking things one step at a time, as long as you're constantly stepping forward :) It doesn't really matter what you start with, as long as you start.

    Your groceries look pretty much exactly like what I buy on a regular basis... except mine almost always include apples, hummus, and wraps.

    Have a wonderful Sunday, love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I survive off of sweet potatoes! I LOVE THEM! :D

    "That said, it will take time". Yes, it will take time, but the only way out is up, and that first initial step you take forward is one of the hardest ones you will ever take. That first step is the one that starts the journey - the one you can be most proud of taking.
    Each step takes you a step closer to the place you want to go. No one expects us to run, or to be there in a week from tomorrow. We will get there in time - not instantly, and we won't do it right every time, but we will get there.

    I'm with you, all the way Aimee.

    Love,
    Eleanor xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great quote, and so true. I also tend to get totally overwhelmed by everything there is to do, and then end up totally paralyzed by anxiety and fear. But that sounds like a great idea, to slowly and steadily progress forward. Like they say in Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming!" ;)
    Mmmm sweet potatoes are delish...

    Rachael*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aimeee!
    I love how you are thinking of recovery in those terms, I am too! It is so overwhelming to try to tackle everything at once it feels like way too daunting but you are doing so well by trying and keeping positive! and I'm so proud of my twinny ;) Omygosh Cinnamon harvest is my favorite cereal!! We are the same I love it haha. I hope you sleep well tonite babe and have a wonderful start to your week, maybe some yoga ;p You're the greatest love youuu so much! You can do this, and you make me smile so bright, like a sunflower! loveu
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. That's exactly how recovery feels to me sometimes...but I guess "it's hard by the yard, a cinch by the inch"?

    The food you described sounds so yummy! I want to have Whole Foods here too!!!!!

    You take care too, sweetie <3

    ReplyDelete