Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Power of Zinc

Hello there and Happy Saturday!!!!!!   Sorry ive been missing the past couple of days but life has been quite hectic and stressful - work has been insanely busy - lots of babies born this week and in my personal life two friends were hospitalized this week - thank god both are doing well but i can't help but worry about them!!
Unfortunately here on Long Island the weather for the weekend is NOT looking too promising - lots of rain and flooding are expected.  I always find that my mood is directly related to the weather - if its rainy i tend just to feel down in the dumps - thats why this morning had my mood boosting banana in my greek yogurt mess!!!!  Remember how bananas can help turn that frown upside down!!! We'll see what happens.
Since i received such positive feedback regarding my post on foods that help with feelings i did some more research on foods to help with Ed. - I recently read several articles which state that some studies show that increasing the amount of zinc in diets of girls suffering from Ed can actually help in the recovery process!!!
Most of the studies show that low levels of zinc lead to depression, anxiety and eating disorders.  Zinc is an essential nutrient for immune function,  insulin synthesis as well as taste and the sense of smell and healthy skin!!   The best dietary sources of zinc are protein sources.
The best vegetarian sources of zinc include:

     Pumpkin Seeds





      Chick peas



Mushrooms
     
     

Dairy sources such as yogurt, milk, cheese




     Tahini paste





So try some of these foods to help with your recovery process!!!!!!!  Some great ways to incorporate these foods - hummus with veggies, adding pumpkin seeds to your yogurt or cereal!!   

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and remember how special, important and deserving each of you are.  Recovery is worth the struggle!!!!!!
                                                                  xoxo aimee

5 comments:

  1. Happy Saturday, love! I've been looking into the link between zinc and ED/depression as well. There's a lot of evidence to suggest that boosting up zinc levels aids in recovery, so I think it's great that you're bringing attention to this!

    I'm currently munching on a banana/Greek yogurt mess as well! I love, love, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your friends. I hope that they are doing well. And I totally agree bananas are definitely a way to turn a frown upside down! so yummy! Thanks for info about zinc. I had never heard that zinc helps with anxiety and depression, although I did know that it is good for your skin. I am definitely going to try to boost my zinc intake! Have a great day Aimee =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THank you for this!
    While analyzing my diet at whfoods. I always lacked zinc. I'll definitely try to up the intake, maybe I'll feel better

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the advice girl!! i'll take whatever i can get at the moment ;]
    so sorry to hear about your friends. they are in my thoughts!
    stay strong!
    love,
    becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Aimee!

    Interesting about the zinc...

    I can't wait to skype with you!!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete