Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"The Gift of Life"


2AM - that's what the clock says as i turn over to answer the all too familiar ring of my cell phone. I know that at this un-godly hour it can only be one type of call - a pregnant patient in labor. My intuition is right - my patient is having contractions - . I reluctantly hang up the phone stumble out of bed and try and get dressed in the dark - throw a headband in my hair, quickly brush my teeth and head out into the cold night air. Yes this is my life - full of unexpected surprises - The nature of my job - (being an obstetrician gynecologist) is full of these surprises. The all too familiar drive to the hospital at this hour gives me time to think - this particular morning i was thinking how funny it is that i picked a specialty of medicine that is so unpredictable - women deliver babies 24 hours a day - seven days a week - . What's funny is that as i drove this morning i realized that this is the one aspect of my life that is so "unstructured" My eating disorder likes structure - a plan, every day is always planned out. Ed doesn't like surprises - whether it be a new food, change in plans or anything that is just out of the norm. I'm slowly starting to realize that life is meant to be varied, variety is the spice of life. When im working its the one aspect of my life that I am able to be a person separate from "anorexic aimee" - i am able to function as Dr. Aimee - for a few hours i am able to forget about this "other" half and lead an Ed free life.
Life is so precious - my job has definately taught me that . Nothing should be taken for granted - our family, friends, health, even simple things like a beautiful flower blooming in the springtime - 

I hope you all have a very happy Wednesday and remember to take time and smell the flowers!!

"There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle"
-Albert Einstein
I hope you can see the miracle in your life today
xoxo aimee








11 comments:

  1. Life is so precious - my job has definately taught me that . Nothing should be taken for granted - our family, friends, health, even simple things like a beautiful flower blooming in the springtime -

    Those words are so true Aimee! I hope you have a lovely day :) Stay strong and keep positive!

    I love that quote by Albert Einstien thank you for sharing it

    Love Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post! and awesome that youre a doctor! wow so nice! youre beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful post lovely. i didn't know you were a doctor! thats so amazing. i don't think i could ever make it through med school without going insane hehe. take care beautiful! i'm so glad you have a time in life where ED leaves you alone!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, Aimee. And great realizations. Life is so precious, and I'm sure it must be amazing to witness the beauty of life every day in your profession :) There are so many more important things in life than weight and food, and those are the thing we need to focus on.

    Have a lovely day, girl <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is cool that you're a dr. I would find it so hard to have to get up in the middle of the night. I can't even stay up past 8pm. I guess you would get used to it though. It is important to think of the positives, but sometimes it's really hard when you're stuck with the ED thoughts.
    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a beautiful thing to witness! (Even if it is at such an "ungodly" hour, lol.) Beautiful picture of you and that precious baby, too!
    Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow Aimee, this post was beautiful, and inspiring to me right now seriously you are so so amazing...i think it is such a great profession that you are in, and really, yes so true, life always is throwing us surprises oh gosh so so many, and we must be able to handle them, i too, have a hard time with change or any difference etc...and i am so proud of you lovie, you are really so strong, so much stronger than you know...this post helped me so much, i need to really start to find and see all the miracles in my life! :)
    and that photo of you, you have the most beautiful smile ever! ahh when are we going to meet? !!! hehe ;)

    love you
    xx
    eliza

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so pretty! Thats the first photo I've seen of you! And you are a doctor! Thats tooooo cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aimee <3
    YOU are a GIFT to MY LIFE! This was so honest and beautiful, so amazing to read from you beautiful girl! Love love that picture of you - stunner! Your job really does prove your character - so caring and helpful and genuine. You are the most selfless friend I have ever met, but I want you to me a little more self-ful? (lol) and do things for AIm, that make you feel whole and special and loved, because you are all these things! Love you so much beauty and hope your day ended well, can't wait to talk, love you love you love you!
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was beautiful and soo true! it is a little ironic that you've chosen a career path that everything is kinda up in the air, and it can change your day around in a second. I have such hard time with dealing with changes that were not planned in my day. I like everything to go as planned, and when something doesn't work out, its like akjhdgkjahskj!!!! Life is def. meant to be varied, thats was keeps it interesting and enjoyable. Its truly amazing that you are one of the people that can bring new life into the world, and you look gorgeous in that picture btw! This was a very inspiring and positive post.. its posts like these from wonderful bloggers like you that put a smile on my face for the rest of the day!<3
    xoxo
    -A <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are incredible!!!! AND SMART AND GORGEOUS to boot:) The job that you have so inspiring...helping bring new life into the world as an obstetrician. Just WOW.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete