Sunday, March 7, 2010

Food and Mood

Good morning and happy sunny Sunday!!!   It truly is amazing how much better I feel when the weather is nicer - how about you??  This morning I heard on the radio how the weather totally affects people's mood and outlook as well as the types of food one is consuming.  I decided to do some research on this because i tend to do better 1. when the weather is nicer and 2. when i am in a good mood - so if I can eat things that might help keep my mood elevated then maybe recovery would be easier!! Here's what i found:
First of all remember that FOOD IS FUEL - without fuel we tend to feel lethargic and well simply depressed

1. Foods high in folic acid - these foods help maintain levels of serotonin in the brain - serotonin is known as the "happy" hormone.  Studies show that women whose diets lack folic acid have higher rates of depression.   One of the best sources of folic acid is spinach.  One cup has 262 micrograms of folic acid!!!!!  I love spinach - not only is it high in folic acid but also very high in iron and since I am a vegetarian and do not eat red meat it is important to get iron daily to prevent anemia!!!!   Other good sources of folic acid are asparagus, broccoli and lentils.
2. Foods high in Omega-3-Fatty Acids - these essential fatty acids are found in high concentrations in the brain and have been found to be important in both brain function (memory) as well as elevated mood and behavior.  Some of the best vegetarian sources of omega 3 are walnuts and flaxseeds.  I love flaxseeds and usually add them to my greek yogurt or smoothies.  They have a nutty flavor and also are a great source of fiber.

3. Bananas - bananas are a nutritional powerhouse - they are a great source of potassium as well as being high in tryptophan.  Studies show that women who are recovering from depression have low levels of tryptophan.  Therefore - eat your bananas!!!
4. Dairy products:  rich in Vitamin D - these products also boost serotonin levels and help elevate mood.  Whey protein has been found to decrease anxiety and frustration.  Remember too that dairy is an excellent source of calcium - to prevent osteoperosis - i suffer from osteoperosis due to my Ed and therefore eat yogurt at LEAST once a day!!
5. Whole grains - carbohydrates!!!  these are essential!!!  Have you ever known someone who is on the Atkins diet - what is their primary complaint - they are tired and moody!!!  Whole grains  especially foods like oatmeal, sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread, pasta, brown rice and quinoa all supply the brain with glucose the most basic sugar.  The brain needs glucose not only to function but also to stabilize blood sugar.  By keeping our blood sugars steady we not only feel good - we don't "pass out" and this can improve our mood and concentration and memory and help us feel alert!!!!
Well i thought this was interesting - i know I am going to try and incorporate more of these foods in my diet!!!!  Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday with HAPPY MOODS!!!!
                                       Love to all and keep strong!!!!!!!!!!   xoxo aimee

10 comments:

  1. thats so interesting. I know the weather does play a huge role in my mood! I'm so glad its nicer out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your happy comment on my blog. Some other one's weren't quite-so-nice.

    But yes, I LOVE THE WEATHER TOO!!! Everything is nicer when it's nice out! Yay for health foods! I love reading about all the benefits of certain foods and vitamins/minerals.

    Have a wonderful day, beauty!
    ♥Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this weather! It is amazing how much happier it makes me just to see the sunlight for a day or two.

    I find the foods that improve mood so interesting! I LOVE dairy (even though it doesn't love me too much :/ and pretty much everything on there :) Good to know!

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. This weather is lovely so sunny and bright makes you feel happier. I like spinach to I also heard its full of iron :)
    Hope you are having a lovely Sunday!
    Love Emma xxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Aimee! I love it when the weather is bright and sunny; it elevates my mood so much! And that's really interesting about the food too... good thing that I love all the foods on that list. They're basically every day staples for me!

    I also notice that the more fat I eat, the better my mood is. Fat helps in regulating hormones and aids in the absorption of nutrients from the food we eat. Eating more is usually a mood elevator as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am loving the sunny weather, it is So gorgeous out!! :) and i love this post Aimee, it was really inspiring to read and i bet a lot of girls who are struggling with eating certain foods who read this will be motivated to eat some of these essential and vital foods and food groups, i love how you said "Therefore - eat your bananas!!!" hehe you are too cute, and i hope that my daily banana pays off and helps with depression haha ;] and i have osteoporosis as well and try to get in dairy, its hard but Greek yogurt is the best! and by the way i had red mango today at the mall :) thought of you of course!!

    love you babe.
    xx
    Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so true! Though my happy foods also include strawberries and gigantic muffins... probably because they're just so adorable that I can't help feeling happy when I eat them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for all the tips lovie!!
    its so true -- the weather COMPLETELY affects my mood. it was so lovely today though <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. my mood improves sooo much with this fabulous weather! ( heatwave! ;) bahaha!)

    mmmm, bananas <3

    http://www.prettytimepiece.org

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this Aim!!
    u so smart ;p
    This was just what I needed to hear today, food is truly nourishment for our brains, so we can think clearly and function! I am so happy to read such positive and inspiring words from you, once again! You always make me think harder about recovery and health. you are truly so amazing, such a positive amazing girl!! Love you ENDLESSLY my Best friend!!! with warmer weather will come a warmer heart ;p and with health will come more happiness in your life - just think of the incentives, your future helping people and (traveling :D) <3 you
    p.s. I love carbs

    ReplyDelete