Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Future




Good morning and happy Saturday - i woke up this morning to beautiful sunshine here on Long Island - today its supposed to reach almost 50 degrees!!!!  Just to think that yesterday it was actually snowing here - Sorry ive been absent the past two days but work has been insanely busy - lots of babies being born.  I also want to say thank you for all the positive comments i received about my job - i must admit i was very reluctant to mention what I did - i wasn't sure how many of you would react.  
I did have therapy this week and had a great session - im learning that most people with an Ed actually start to "recover" when they have something to "get better for" - a goal, a dream something to strive for.  My therapist asked me what i am looking for out of my life , what am I unhappy with or what do I want for the future.   So many questions - my head has been spinning just trying to think of what i truly want out of my life.
     It seems that all my life has been programed or scheduled.  I went to college, then medical school then residency.  Finally finished my residency in a specialty that i though I loved and entered private practice with my father (my dad too is an ob/gyn).  Now after practicing for a few years i am realizing that although i would never give up being a doctor i feel that i would like to eventually (when i myself am better) work with others who struggle with Ed.  This is my dream.  
I hear horror stories of different institutions that try to "help" us who are struggling but i feel many of these places just restore weight and don't address the true problem that lies beneath.  i don't know - maybe my idea sounds crazy - but my therapist believes that since i am so unhappy with my current situation this should be my goal - to get better so that i can help others and open my dream treatment center which would be so unique and different than all the others.  What are you all dreaming of - how do you see your lives better without your Ed???
Without something to look forward to or strive towards i feel only keeps us stuck in our ED - 
Here are some eats from the past few days:


    Lentil bean chili - served in corn tortillas with fresh spinach 
   grilled fresh asparagus with fresh basil and oregano
favorite snack of Oikos greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and valencia oranges lightly sweetened with stevia while paging thru the new Anthro catalog!!!! (you have to check it out
not only for the clothes but the amazing pictures!!!!)

Well i hope you all have an amazing, fun-filled weekend and hopefully the sun is shining wherever you are!!!!
                                       "What lies behind us and what lies before us

                                     are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"

                                                                       xoxo aimee                                                         

5 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful goal Aimee! I've often thought about pursuing a career that will enable me to help those who are struggling with ED's. I think help can be so much more powerful if you can relate to the person you're helping... doctors can know every fact about a disease, but they really know nothing about it unless they've lived it. Also, recovering yourself is a great way to show others that recovery IS possible.

    Have a great weekend, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw girl those questions force us to look at life beyond our ED. We do have goals and dreams beside losing a few pounds. I'm so glad you had a chance to think about it. And your post reminded me.. I need to pick up more greek yogurt! yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aimee, its a pleasure to have found your blog and begin getting to know it...and you.

    My name is Jennifer, I live in Australia.

    I actually started my medical degree straight out of High School,while battling my Anorexia. I had to pull out as i realised my personality plus illness did not equal medicine as a career for me.

    I applaud you for being able to carry it through and do what you love and now open your mind to new dreams and goals..

    I ended up doing Education/Psychology instead,despite being very ill, and up until i relapsed one year ago, was working with ED sufferers,their carers and families - i loved/love it!!

    I was trapped in the ED for 18 years,from 14 to 32 years of age, and now at 38 am sufferingg a relapse,due to many stressors entering my life all at once, and my
    not realising the potential for relapse was great,until it was too late.

    F ortunately however, i have caught this relapse early and am heading towards true recovery,this time with a heck of a lot more knowledge under my belt!!

    I am inspired by you and would love to communicate with you via blog/email.

    Much love and admiration,
    Jennifer x

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful post aim -- i think it would be great if you could help others with ED. yes, many places i've heard are AWFUL. stay strong and keep fighting for that goal <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I really love this post. Thanks for sharing these ideas with us!

    I've never had a full-blown ED, only disordered eating. But I think what helped stop from me losing more weight and helped me to make changes mentally was having something to look forward to, a goal like you said-- and that "goal" was to share my life with my love. I don't WANT to be measuring food & crap in front of him and our possible children.

    I also think I would enjoy helping ED sufferers, as I feel like I really understand/relate to those with ED, even though I've never been diagnosed etc etc myself.

    ReplyDelete