Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Very Hungry Caterpillar




As i was sitting outside on my porch enjoying the warm sun yesterday I saw the first caterpillar of the season.  As i watched him scurry along the pavement i was reminded of one of my favorite books as a child - "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Eric Carle.  If you haven't read it you definately should.  What i liked most about the book when i was younger was the beautiful illustrations of the food that the caterpillar would eat.  Now as i think back i am reminded of the beautiful message that the story contains.  
The book starts out with the hatching of the caterpillar from a single egg on a leaf and then follows him during the week as he continues to grow and eat a variety of foods until he surrounds himself in a cocoon and then transforms into a beautiful butterfly.  Spring is a time of change, a time of growth, promise and changes.  Thinking of this story makes me realize how important it is to nourish ourselves each and every day.  Without the proper food we can never reach our full potential of a beautiful butterfly.  The caterpillar was able to listen to his body and each day eat a little bit more than the day before.  On Sunday he ate one apple, on Monday two pears and he was still hungry - - why can't i be like the caterpillar and listen to my body - - 
As i sit here writing this post i hope that we all can be like this little creature - feed ourselves what we need , what we desire so that we too can become a beautiful butterfly one day.  I hope you all have a wonderful Easter as well as Passover.  I'll be back tomorrow with a longer post - enjoy your weekend and be like the caterpillar - it is only a matter of time till we become a butterfly!!!!!!!!!!!    


xoxo aimee

7 comments:

  1. I just read that a few weeks ago with my little cousin :) Interesting insight :)

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love love love love love!! Aww, such a favorite and so true!
    xoxo
    Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww hun, I like this post! I loved that book too when I was a kid. It's so true, we really need to nourish our bodies, even when we don't feel like it or feel it's too hard. Proud of you!
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED THAT BOOK SOOOOO MUCH WHEN I WAS LITTLE!!! (and I still do now, heheh)

    That's so true! we all need to work on listening to our bodies and eating when they tell us to.

    Awesome post. So UPLIFTING.
    =]

    ♥Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. babes
    this was so adorable. I read that book as a wee one as well!!!! I love you so much, you are my sister, best friend, soulmate in life and I know with all my heart you are going to do this. You are so strong and have the most beautiful wings, they are going to be ready to fly soon and you are going to reach such great heights! I love you so much aim xoxoxoxoxoxoxo forever

    <3 <3 S.F. Lifesaver

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that book!! My mum reads it to all the kiddies in her nursery!! I hope we chat again soon and can't wait to meet!! Hope you come to London soon!!
    Lots of love
    Emma xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic book and I love your take on it :)

    ReplyDelete