Sunday, April 25, 2010

LULELEMON LOVE



           Another week gone by - i hope you have all had a wonderful weekend.  I haven't posted this week - i feel like life has been pretty much routine - nothing new to talk about.  I do want to talk about one of my favorite ways to relieve stress - my yoga practice.  I started doing yoga about a year ago - i had heard all of the health benefits - not only physical but also mental.  For me yoga is my time to forget about life's everyday problems - for 1 1/2 hours my mind is clear, not cluttered with everyday worries and concerns.  
The practice of yoga has been around for thousands of years - it is a practice that unites the body, mind and spirit and believes that thru this practice one can find harmony in their environment.  Yoga consists of different postures, meditation and breathing techniques. The reason why i enjoy it so much is that anyone can do it - each move can be modified and individuals are encouraged to listen to their bodies and modify the different poses as they seem fit.  
So what are some of the health benefits of yoga???? Well here is a quick list :

1.  Physical:  decreased blood pressure, better immune system, healthier gastrointestinal system, improved posture and balance, increase in energy levels, improved sleep

2. Mentally:  increase in self-confidence,  increase in concentration and memory, decrease in anxiety and stress levels, increase in self-acceptance (KEY!!!!!).

I particularly like the last point - yoga has been found to cause increase levels of self-acceptance - Yoga causes us to look inward and realize that perfection is not the goal but rather listen to our bodies and our mind and accept ourselves f
or who we truly are.

One of my favorite stores for yoga apparel is "Lululemon"  A great company they not only sell yoga apparel but also yoga mats and other accessories as well as interesting literature about the practice of yoga.  I am lucky enough to hav
e a store close to where I live and on Sundays they have a free yoga class!!!!!!!  What i particularly like is the Lululemon manifesto:





It is so positive and inspiring!!!!!!!!!!  I highly recommend you check out their web-site which has great resources about yoga!!!!   
Well I hope you all have a wonderful relaxing Sunday and consider starting your own yoga practice - i am so happy i did and feel it is key in my quest to become healthy!!!!
                                                          xoxo aimee


8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love their inspirational manifesto- I saw it as an advertisement on the back of Yoga Journal (I think that was the one) and it really had an impact on me. I am signing up for yoga practice after doing it in school and on my own for a while now. The awareness brings is incredible, and the influence that flows from the mat into your lifestyle is like no other.
    Happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely go on that website! I have been thinking of taking up some yoga classes at my gym it sounds great :)
    Hope your having a nice day!
    Emma
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. yoga is my absolute passion. i practice everyday and never cease to be amazed at how it makes me feel. i have meet so many wonderful people through it while discovering things about myself. i can totally attest to the fact that it makes us accept ourselves more. i hope you will find vitality, peace, and self-acceptance through your practice.

    the light in me bows to the light in you. namaste. (sorry, i could resist. anyway, have a lovely day! xox)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great to hear what amazing benefits you've discovered from practicing yoga! We also love to hear from those enjoying our complimentary yoga classes!. Classes are offered in each of our stores - beginners are always welcome! Here's more info for those interested: http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/the-gift-of-yoga-in-our-stores/

    Liz
    lululemon athletica online community

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love yoga and I wish I could do it more often. I am so excited because my new house will have a yoga class in the community!

    Have a great week,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started doing yoga during my recovery and absolutely fell in love with it. I love the peace it gives me and how it allows me to be more in tune with my body and mind. Lulu is one of my favorite yoga stores as well :)

    Hope you're taking care of yourself, hun, and doing well <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started doing yoga during my recovery as well and at first had a really hard time with it. During the times where I was supposed to be "clearing my mind" I spent stressing. However, after doing it for a while I grew to love it! It is hard to fit in with school, but I intend to do more over the summer. And yes, it has so many health benefits for the body and mind! Hope you are doing well Aimee =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the kind birthday wishes! as i said before, i really enjoyed reading this post. how is your yoga going?

    have a lovely day!
    xox

    ReplyDelete