Sunday, May 2, 2010

HAPPY MAY!!!!!

     Hi there and Happy May!!!!!! I can't believe its already May - it seems like just yesterday we were celebrating Christmas and trying to get through these cold winter months.  The weather here in New York has been nothing short of spectacular - the sun was shining bright yesterday and we hit record temps into the middle 80's - quite rare in early May!!!!  But im definately not complaining - i love the warm weather. 
In terms of my journey towards recovery i always seem to do better during the spring and summer months - my mood always seems to be more positive, i am more motivated and usually am more determined.  Not only does the weather play a role in my mood but also the availability of all of the local, homegrown fruits and veggies that are available this time of year.  One of my favorite thing to do in the summer months is to visit the local farms and buy homegrown produce or even pick-your own!!!  I know this is not the case with many of you - i have read in other blogs that some tend to do wo
rse in the warmer months.  I am curious about all of your thoughts on this and how the weather or seasons affect your Ed.  
A random fact I discovered this morning as I was surfing the web - guess what this week is???    Believe it or not - May 1-7th is National Raisin Week - i found this to be interesting - why May 1-7th???  I have no idea but I do like these tasty treats.  Raisins are basically dehydrated grapes.  Although tiny these tasty treats are nutritional powerhouses!!!!   Raisins are filled with antioxidants, fiber and a good source of potassium.  When you are looking for a quick pick-me up raisins are a great choice.
What can you do with raisins???? The possibilities are endless.  They can be added to oatmeal, yogurt and cereal, added to your favorite baking recipe for moistness as well as a natural sweetner,  a wonderful addition to rice, couscous or quinoa or even to fresh summer salads!!!!  They are even delicious right out of the bag!!!  What are your favorite ways to eat these delicious snacks???

 I love raisins as an addition to my oatmeal or yogurt but I also love them in baking - heres a recipe for delicious moist Pumpkin Raisin Muffins - enjoy!!!!

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar or raw sugar or any other sweetener you prefer - i have used stevia with good results
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup almond milk or you could use unsweetened applesauce (ive used both)
1 cup pumpkin puree 
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a mixing bowl mix all of the dry ingredients thoroughly.  In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients and then fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  Finally add the raisins.  Line a muffin pan with inserts or lightly spray with non-stick spray.  Fill - makes 6 large or 12 medium sized muffins - bake for 20 minutes.
Enjoy!!!!


I hope you all have a wonderful relaxing Sunday!!!! By the way May is also National Strawberry Month - ill definately be posting about one of my favorite fruits!!!!!   xo aimee

9 comments:

  1. National Raisin week? Eep! I had no idea, but that's super great because I love those little buggers; definitely my favorite dried fruit. And I agree that they're absolutely delicious in baked treats. Thank you for the recipe for the muffins :)

    As for the interaction of weather and ED, I definitely find it easier to deal with my ED in the warmer months, but at the same time, I find myself almost stagnating at times in recovery because the warmer weather gives me a more positive mood and I start feeling comfortable with where I am and I stop pushing myself so hard. Things are different this year, though, so I'm hoping that will no longer be the case.

    Have a beautiful Sunday, love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool... National Raisin Week! I should try to use them every day this week :)
    I tend to do worse with ED related things in the warmer months, which is odd because I love the spring and summer! For me in the past, it had been about body image as shorts/swimsuit weather approaches as well as the free time I have in the summer to wallow in disordered thinking. Family vacations and anxiety about seeing everyone when I get back was difficult these past years as well. This year I am certain that the warmer months will find me happy and healthy though! I hope it finds you the same.
    Favorite raisin recipe- oatmeal raisin cookies! Undercooked and hot from the oven, with icy cold milk before bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for national raisin Week! ahh best week ever ;) i love raisins, best dried fruit definitely! so good and so many uses, and so healthy! I am definitely making your muffin recipe, i booked marked this post :D sounds delicious!
    i know ah it is so hot here, like 80 degrees i think urgg! but yes, i am one to dread the warmer months, but i am looking forward to the summer as best as i can, it does effect my ed a lot, but i must stay as optomistic and not let this summer be another repeat relapse summer!
    love you Aimee!

    xx
    eliza

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy May!! I am actually lovin the weather, hehe, i am not a warm month perosn, i love the fall and winter, but its so lovely outside!
    wow I love that recipe, sounds so good! Raisins are my favorite!! SO good, like natures candy :) I agree so many uses! I love raisins in savory rice dishes, with curry spice, quinoa! So good, whole foods salad bar, has some really yummy rice-salads with dried fruit, so good! And raisin oatmeal...can not beat that ;)

    xx
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love rasins. I love cooking them in oats and they just puff right up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for national strawberry month! I absolute adore strawberries, but meh on the raisins. I do, however, agree with you that buying fresh produce from local growers is one of the greatest joys of summer. Summer is definitely my favorite time of year because the warm weather and sun makes me that much brighter. I've already informed my mom that I need to live in a warm weather state once I'm 18 :P. I will keep you in my prayers, as always, but know you will do amazingly in your recovery this summer. Enjoy the beautiful foods and soak up some sun, girlie!

    Have a lovely day!
    xox

    P.S. hummus&veggies is one of my new favs as well [though I must admit hummus and I had a bad relationship for awhile after I ate almost a whole tub in one sitting, hoping it would help me gain weight. Whoops.]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy May Aimee :D
    I hope your having a lovely month and you ate lots of raisins for raisin week! That recipe sounds so good!
    Keep going my lovely and lets speak soon!!!

    Emma
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there! Thanks for your comment. and Happy May Day to you too!!! i have to say, you're very lucky to have some warm weather across the pond, its raining here in the uk :-(

    Summer is a difficult season for me ED wise. i feel less comfortable having to shed my layers of clothing, its almost like im having to reveal more of myself emotionally which is hard, especially since summer is a time when everyone is out and about enjoying the weather and since i used to be such a bubbly sociable person it saddens me to think how ive missed out on so much of that fun and laughter. but this summer im determined will be different! Ive started recovery, im feeling positive and i want to live life to the fullest again... Its all about moving forwards! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Raisins are by far my favorite dried fruit! I put them on everything...some things that you probably wouldn't suspect lol. The summer is usually difficult for me ED wise. I am not sure why because summer and spring are my favorite seasons. Love the warm weather. I know that this summer is going to be different though. Love your posts Aimee. Hope you are doing well ;)

    ReplyDelete