Monday, May 31, 2010

"The Last Day"

Hello everyone and Happy Memorial Day!!!!!!  Today also marks the last day of May and the end of National Strawberry Month.  Hope you have all been enjoying your long weekend - hopefully filled with barbecues, family and friends.  Since Thursday I have delivered four babies but thankfully i have had a few moments to relax and enjoy the nice weather.
     Yes today marks the last day of National Strawberry Month - i finally was able to enjoy freshly picked strawberries from a local farm this weekend that were absolutely spectacular.  Strawberry picking is one of my favorite things about summer.  Walking through the field and seeing these splendid little fruits bursting with flavor is one activity i will never tire of.  I can remember as a child sitting in the middle of the field consuming more berries than actually ended up in my tiny basket.  I would have eaten so many berries that my fingers were stained red and i would have strawberry juice all over my shirt.  To this day i still sneak a few into my mouth while picking one of my favorite fruits.  
Here is a picture of some of my gems that I have been consuming way too much of!!


Some interesting strawberry facts:
1. Strawberries are the only fruit with their seeds located on the outside
2. These are the first fruit to ripen in the spring
3. In Belgium there is a museum entirely dedicated
 to strawberries (really!!)
4.  Strawberries are actually a member of the rose family
5. Strawberries are grown in every single state in the US and provinces of Canada
6. Americans eat 3.4 pounds of strawberries each year.

Remember the 1980's craze of the Strawberry Shortcake doll and her friends!!!!







Some great ways to use these super fruits:
1. delicious paired with greek yogurt, agave nectar and flax seed
2. a perfect addition to any smoothie 
3. with overripe berries i simply place them on my stove and reduce them with sugar to make homemade preserves - perfect to top whole wheat toast 
4. strawberry muffins
5. love adding fresh strawberries to spinach salads
The possibilities are endless!!!

Simply put - i love strawberries - so i hope wherever you live you are able to enjoy them before the season is over!!!!!


Since today is Memorial Day - it kicks off the official start to summer - the barbecue season.  Many of you will be attending barbecues with family and friends.  I do love barbecuing and one of my favorite things recently is to make homemade black bean burgers.  In the past i have had the pleasure of eating Amy's Bistro Burgers - while these are my favorite "frozen" burgers i was tempted to try and make my own.  By combining a few recipes that I had read in the past and having many cans of black beans in my pantry that needed to be consumed i figured - why not!
The result????    I loved them - now i know that having frozen burgers in the freezer are always a great meal when you are pressed for time but trust me - try these - you will not be disappointed and you can freeze them as well.
 I plan on making them tonight so i will snap a picture of the final product but here's the "rough" recipe ( i say "rough" because i really don't measure my spices)
For one burger:
   1/3 cup rinsed black beans
   1 tablespoon of whole - wheat flour  (could use oatmeal if preferred)
   1/4 of large zucchini and red pepper finely shreddded
   chopped onion (as much or as little as desired)
   cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, chili powder
Basically take the beans and with the back side of fork mash half of them and leave the rest whole, combine all ingredients and form into patty.  Place in refrigerator and let it get cold before grilling.  You can either cook in pan on stove, barbecue or place in oven on broil for approximately 20 minutes.  Spray the burger with olive oil spray prior to cooking so it develops a nice crust on the outside.
I served mine in a mini whole wheat pita topped with Annies mustard, ketchup, roasted red peppers, lettuce and tomato but feel free to try and toppings.   Enjoy!!!

       Trying all of these new recipes has been really helping me on my road to recovery.  I am slowly starting to realize that food is meant to be enjoyed - life is too short to deny ourselves of things that we truly enjoy.  When i try new recipes i get excited about food again - something that i haven't felt in quite a while.  Although it isn't always easy i am trying at least once a week to try an get out of my usual "food ruts" and try new and exciting things.  I want to thank all of you and all of the blogs i read because you all inspire me to keep going even when things are tough!!!  I wish you all a wonderful Memorial Day!!!  xoxo aimee

9 comments:

  1. Your recipe sounds delish! I totally agree, food is meant to be enjoyed!!! ED denies us of enjoying food a lot and life if definitely way too short to deny ourselves of its many pleasures. And its the end of National Strawberry Month how sad =( Unfortunately, I didn't eat too many strawberries this month, but I love them! Always love your posts Aimee! Happy Memorial Day as well

    ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. that recipe sounds awesome! i know -- cooking can be so good for recovery. i got lazy, but i really must start up again!
    take care <3
    p.s. strawberries are amazingggg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and I've definitely been enjoying my fair share of them lately. I'll be so sad when they go out of season :(

    And I think it's great that you've been cooking more and experimenting with new foods. Wanting to be more creative in the kitchen is something that definitely helped me along in recovery. I was getting so tired of being limited to boring and bland foods, and wanting to have more fun allowed me to challenge some more of my fears.

    You're doing great, Aimee! Food and life are meant to be enjoyed to the fullest, so don't let some stupid fears hold you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally missed the memo that it was strawberry month! D'oh! No worries, I definately consumed approximately half of those 3.4 pounds of strawberries in the past 4 weeks ;)

    I love experimenting with foods now too...especially foods that used to scare me to death! (Cheeeese ;P)

    izzyy
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your super sweet comment on my new blog!

    I am too totally in love with these little red gems called strawberries! Too bad, they´re in season for only a short amount of time :(

    You´re bean burger recipe sounds great - I tried out something very similar on sunday and it worked out pretty well :)

    Have a lovely day!!!
    xoxo Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. "food is meant to be enjoyed" <--AMEN TO THAT!!!

    All those strawberries sound soooo good! I don't know if this is weird, but I sometimes just throw strawberries whole into my smoothies, tops and all! A little green never hurt anyone right ;)

    Have a wonderful wednesday!
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, I love strawberries! I am such a berry fiend! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strawberries = amazing (:
    I'm so glad that you've been getting excited about food, it can make recovery something fun and full of creativity xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment :) Made me smile.

    I love your little strawberry facts and ideas! I'm glad you are learning what is important in your life!

    ReplyDelete