Friday, October 1, 2010

Is it really October???






October 1 - already????? What happened to September???? I feel like it was just yesterday that we were celebrating Labor Day and the endof summer and now fall is really upon us. Well today is also October 1st - the beginning of my favorite month of the year. I love October - the fall weather has kicked in - the apple and pumpkin season is really upon us. I even have spotted one of my favorite fall products hitting the shelves -
Canned pumpkin!!!!! Oh how ive missed you!!!
Pumpkins are not only for carving at Halloween - they are so versatile - you can eat the flesh the seeds, stuff them with just about anything or just use them for decorating purposes!!!
Not only are they so versatile they are good for you!!!! Pumpkins are packed with beta-carotene which is an antioxidant that can help reduce the risk of certain cancers and other diseases. Pumpkins are also high in fiber, Vitamin A, magesium and potassium!!!

Pumpkin seeds also known as pepitas are also not only delicious but also very good for you - especially for vegetarians. Pepitas are very high in B vitamins which vegetarians can be deficient of. They also are a great source of protein - a one ounce portion has a whopping 9 grams of protein!!!! Pepitas are a great addition
to any salad, trail mix, cookies, savory dishes or even just perfect simply roasted with sea salt!!!

I just love pumpkins - i love pumpkin flavored anything from coffee - have you tried Green Mountain Pumpkin Spice coffee????



Other things i like to do with my canned pumpkin - of course baked goods, mixed with greek yogurt, pumpkin smoothies, pumpkin oatmeal - the possibilities are endless!!! What are some of your favorite uses for pumpkin????




Some other yummy eats ive been enjoying these past few weeks:
Hummus, roasted veggies and the necessary Ezekial pita
Lots of greek yogurt messes in my favorite sunflower dish

Perfectly crisp pita pizzas
Slow roasted black bean chili

Other fun things happening in October!!!
Today October 1st is actually World Vegetarian Day - so i inspire you all to make a nice veggie filled meal for someone today!!! I eat mostly a vegetarian diet however i do incorporate fish every so often. I plan on making millet stuffed eggplants with fresh roasted tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and spinach.

Well i hope you all have a wonderful weekend - i hope to go pumpkin picking!!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. yum!! wish i could eat those stuffed eggplants with you :] have a lovely day!
    and i do adore pumpkin EVERYTHING as well :] hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying to try some pumpkin... its popping up in everyones blogs these days. Next week. I'm getting some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin is my favorite thing about fall! Well, one of them :)

    Dana xo
    http://happinessiswithin.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an uplifting post - usually October used to leave me feelung rather depressed and blue IDK why. This year I want to cherish and enjoy fall, hope for golden October sunshine!

    Pumpkin spice coffe soznds so good and I love pumpkin smoothies, too! They also taste great raw-yumm ;)

    Wishing u a lovely weekend

    Xoxo Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've been looking for pumpkin coffee EVERYWHERE but can't find! i <3 pumpkin (too much) hands-down agree--it's the best fall flavor!! have fun pumpkin pickin :D

    ~Em.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WANT PUMPKIN!! I forgot how much I have missed it :0 Pumpkin oatmeal is calling my name ;)

    Thanks for all the great recipe ideas! I hope you are having a fantastic weekend :)

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm pumpkin is just so good for the body, mind, and most importantly soul! When I was at the grocery store over the weekend I saw the shelves filled with it!!... Oh how I missed me some pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if I have ever commented before, but I love your blog and had read for a little bit, and just figured Id comment finally :) I love pumpkin things too, and so jelous you can gopumpkin picking I hope you get to go! Florida really has no good pumpkin patches lol
    <3 kimi

    ReplyDelete