Friday, July 9, 2010

Ode to the Blueberry

    July - one of my favorite months of the year - the weather is warm, flowers are blooming and farmer markets here on Long Island are bursting with fresh veggies, fruits and my favorite - blueberries.
Picture of my farm fresh blueberries in my Etsy "berry bowel"
I received this bowel as a gift and it actually is a bowel just for berries - it has holes in the bottom to act as a "strainer" so you can clean your berries and leave them out on the counter!!
     The entire month of July is actually dedicated to this tiny berry.  July 11th is specifically National Blueberry Muffin Day.  Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits.  These tiny berries are actually one of the only fruits native to North America.  They have recently been called Natures Antioxidant Superfruit because they contain some of the highest levels of antioxidants which are helpful in preventing cancer and the aging process.  Blueberries also help prevent urinary tract infections, improve memory and coordination, decrease total cholesterol and best of all have been found to help elevate mood and act as antidepressants!!!
      Now if those aren't enough reasons to eat these nutritional powerhouses - simply stated they taste DELICIOUS!!!!!  And the possibilities are endless:  you can eat them straight off the vine, dried, add them to baked goods, make dressings, add to salads, smoothies, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt - i could go on forever!!!!

Recipe:   Blueberry banana muffins
Makes 12 muffins
       Ingredients:   1 cup whole wheat flour
                                1/2 cup packed brown sugar or other sweetner
                                1 teaspoon baking soda
                                1 teaspoon baking powder
                                1 teaspoon cinnamon
                                1 teaspoon nutmeg
                                1/2 cup oats
                                2 well-beaten egg whites
                                1 cup mashed bananas (the riper the better)
                                1/2 cup greek yogurt
                                1 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line muffin tin with cooking spray or muffin liners.
In a large bowel mix dry ingredients.  Next take well beaten egg whites and add to the wet ingredients.  Fold the wet into the dry ingredients.  Add the fresh blueberries at the end to prevent breaking of the blueberries.  Fill the muffin tins and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins. 

I hope all is well with my fellow readers and friends.  Quote for the day:  "A true friend is like the shade of a great tree in the noonday sun."
                                Take today to thank those who give you "shade" in the sun!!
                                                                  xoxo aimee  

9 comments:

  1. OH I love blueberries...shame they are so expensive here in the UK and so can only have them as an occasional treat. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely bowl! I just made some blueberry and lemon muffins :)
    I hope your having a lovely day!
    Must chat soon :)
    Lots of love
    Emma
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cute bowl! And boy do I loooove blueberries! Love the quote too. And looove your posts. They always make me so happy!

    Have a fabulous day Aimee =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmhhhh... blueberries are my fave berries, I think! I didn´t know July was "month of the bloobs" *lol* they certainly deserve it - so yummy and good for you :) must try your muffin recipe asap - bloobs and banana, can it get any better??

    Lots of love
    have a beautiful day
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blueberries SOOOO much! <3 Hehe, as all my friends know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, first off, that bowl is GENIUS! I hate having to drain my berries when I'm cleaning them because some always end up falling out into the sink :(

    Secondly, I absolutely adore blueberries... I think they very well may be my favorite berries (although strawberries are delicious as well). I had no idea that July was blueberry month, but I just might have to make those muffins to honor the little blue guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For years, I was a blueberry hater. And now I can't get enough of blueberry muffins. I think I'll hit the farmer's market on Wednesday and get some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Aimee,

    I just discovered your blog and love love love it!

    I am huge fan of dried blueberries, but I only get them periodically because of how expensive they are. I add them to granola, and it's just heaven! I will definitely have to try your muffin recipe because it sounds delicious!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lovely muffin recipe, Aimee :) I'm always on the lookout! And I adore blueberry season as well. I can't decide which I prefer - blueberries or strawberries?!

    ReplyDelete