Saturday, July 24, 2010

Finally.....

       I love the morningtime - especially on the weekends - i can sit leisurely with my morning coffee on my terrace and watch the sunrise.  Yes, even on the weekends when i don't HAVE to get up at such an ungodly hour (usually 5AM) , my internal clock still awakens me and i usually just start my day as usual.  Today was like no other - i was up by 5 - had my coffee and went for a short walk around my neighborhood and enjoyed the beautiful sunrise.  Today they are expecting the temps to reach a record of 104 degrees !!!!  I plan on sitting in my pool and just finally relaxing with a good book and catching up on my blog reading.  What are your plans for the weekend?????
          This week i was finally able to find fresh figs - i love fresh figs just as much as i like dried ones.  Figs are a wonderful fruit - so versatile and sweet.  They have been called the "fruit of the gods" In biblical times figs were considered to be "restorative"  They fed fresh figs to those who were suffering from long time sickness and found that it aided them in their recovery process. It removed both physical and mental exertion and gave the body renewed vigor and strength.What i found to be an interesting fact - figs contain tryptophan which can induce sleep and help cure insomnia!!!!
        So here are my fresh figs!!!!!!!  I enjoyed them sliced as so on top of chilled fage as a snack!






 Some other things i enjoyed this week:  Sweet potato black bean bites!!!   Now i love black beans and sweet potatoes and i figured why not combine the 2!!!
Here's the recipe as promised!!
          1/3 cup black beans drained
          1/2 large sweet potato - cooked (you can either boil or bake it till soft)
          spinach
          diced vidalia onion
          cumin
          chili powder
           garlic
           salt/pepper
Its actually quite a simple recipe - i took the onion - diced it and cooked in olive oil till translucent , next i added fresh spinach till cooked.  In a separate bowel i simply took half the beans and mashed half with the back of a fork and left the rest whole.  Next combine the sweet potato beans and onions and spinach and the rest of spices (i don't measure my spices  - sorry!!)Form into 4 balls and place in refrigerator till chilled.  Once chilled i spray will olive oil spray and place in aluminum pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
         I served mine on top of fresh romaine salad with roasted red peppers and with additional roasted sweet potato fries.  Toppings i like for the sweep potato black bean bites: organic mustard or ketchup or else greek yogurt seasoned with chives, salt, pepper and garlic.
         Hope you like the recipe and have a wonderful weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!   xoxo aimee   

5 comments:

  1. Sitting in the pool and blog reading? Sounds like a perfect Saturday :) I'm heading out to see Inception this afternoon with a good friend, and then going to the lake tomorrow with my family. Should be a good weekend :)

    I wish I could sleep in sometimes, too. At least on the weekends or if I've had a late night. But I never fail to wake up around 5:30 or 6. It's not so bad though... because I love my peaceful mornings too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting that fresh figs are said to support recovery - I think I have to buy some next week :) although I have to admit, I´ve never come across really tasty fresh ones. All were rather bland and chalky tasting, never sweet and juicy as I had expected them to be. Nevertheless I might just give them one more chance ;) thank you for sharing your recipes-sounds awesome! Cant wait to try it with squash or regular potatoes - I don´t like the sweet ones all too much.

    Enjoy your sunday!!
    xoxo Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh figs. figs!!! what would the world be without them? God's best creation, perhaps. X)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...all I can say to this post is "yum," because I am otherwise speechless :P
    Really, though - love the combo of sweet potato and black beans. Always have, and this is a must-try for me :) I've been dying to get my hands on some fresh figs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyy aimee,
    Thankyou so much for commenting on my blog and I'm glad you'll continue to read - it's really appreciated :)
    Ohh I am SO going to use this recipe...black beans and sweet potato are some of my favourite foods so you've totally inspired me for tomorrow's dinner! Yummyy!
    Nicky xx

    ReplyDelete