Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Little Inspiration

      There are times when i feel im not sure what to blog about - today i leave you with a favorite of mine - a poem i remember reading when i was younger and came across it in my journal the other night and wanted to share it with each of you.  I love the beach and this poem reminds me of summer and how even the "little" things in life that we do each day can have such a lasting impact on another's life.  I hope that this can inspire each of you to remember the little things in life.                                                                   

                                       The Starfish Poem
                                         By Loren Eisley
There once was a man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing.  He had a habit of walking along the beach before beginning his work.  One day while walking along the beach he saw a human figure like a dancer.  He smiled to himself to think of someone who would dance to the day.  He began to walk faster to catch up to the figure and as he got closer he saw it was a young man and the man was not dancing but instead he was reaching down to the shore, picking up something gently and throwing it into the ocean.  As he got closer he called out "What are you doing?"  The young man smiled and replied," Throwing starfish into the ocean!"  The old man asked "why?"  He replied "The sun is up and the tide is going out - if i don't throw them into the ocean they will surely die."  The old man puzzled said " But young man
 don't you realize there are miles of beach and starfish along it - you can't possibly make a difference."  The young man listened politely, picked up a starfish and replied, it made a difference to that starfish!" 
                                                       Picture from National GeoGraphic
    I hope you all are doing well and have a wonderful Tuesday filled with hope and inspiration.
I'll be back later with a great Sweet potato and black bean recipe as well as some new food reviews!!!    xoxo aimee

7 comments:

  1. Aww, Aimee, that poem is super sweet, and I love that man's attitude. It really makes me think of my recovery from my ED, and how I was able to take so much pride in my little accomplishments, like eating an extra scoop of ice cream, or having another square of chocolate... really trivial things to the average person, but they were a huge deal for me, and focusing no the little things really made me feel like I was making progress and encouraged me to keep going.

    Hope you're doing well, hun <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's beautiful! and so, so true. i absolutely love it, thank you so much aimee!! hope you're doing well. <3
    lucie

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness<3
    i love this poem xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing - this is something my dad would love :) it´s the little things that count up to great actions, isn´t it? REALLY looking forward to your recipe-yumm :)

    have a great day
    xoxo Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love poetry and that poem was really beautiful :) thank you for sharing it Aimee :)
    I hope we can talk soon!
    Love you!
    Emma
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so cute! I love that the young man appeared to be dancing at first- it really reinforces the beauty of making even a small difference.
    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete