Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Seeds of Change







                   "All of the flowers of all the tomorrows are in the seeds of today."
                                                -  Indian proverb
                          Have you planted your seeds as of today?



Well the last week has been quite busy and finally i have a free morning to update and say hello - i have been quite busy to say the least - June has been filled with not only long hours at work but also birthdays, graduations and other social engagements - im actually happy to finally have a free moment to catch up with all of you!!!!!  I must say that although ive been busy i have been able to engage in one of my favorite activities associated with the summer months - my herb and flower garden.  I love flowers and gardening.  I love to see how a tiny seed can over time with proper care and a bit of love can bloom into something wonderful.  I like to compare my journey to recovery with the seeds that I planted.  Like the small basil seed - i too need nourishment - not only food but also sunlight and care.  It's funny - there are so many times where ill get too busy and forget to take time to care for myself but yet ill never forget to take care of my plants.  
There is nothing more satisfying then seeing the seed of yesterday bloom into something beautiful and become the flowers of tomorrow.  Like the seed hopefully i can continue to nourish myself, give myself the love and attention that i deserve and continue to discover the real me.
        I hope all of you can plant your seeds today and nourish these seeds because the flowers and fruit they will bare will be ever so rewarding.


Here is a picture of the fig tree - it already has about 10 figs!!!!!!!!

Some other things i have been enjoying this week: trips to the farmers market  - lots of berries and fresh lettuce!!!!
A new recipe: Cold Lentil Salad
Here's the recipe:
1/4 cup uncooked brown lentils
1 red pepper (roasted)
1/2 carrot chopped
1/2 celery chopped
fresh chives, basil and mint
garlic, salt pepper to taste
red wine vinegar
olive oil
First cook the lentils on stovetop in boiling water - note do not salt the water - i like my lentils slightly firm for cold salads so i boiled them for about 15 minutes - once cooked drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.  Next add all other ingredients and place in refrigerator to chill. 
I ate mine last night served over fresh romaine lettuce with grilled eggplant and enjoyed them with wasa crisps.
Enjoy your week!!!!!! 

5 comments:

  1. That quote really resonates with me. I agree- recovery is like a plant. There are many aspects toward blooming into ourselves, and without a healthy mind body, and spirit, recovery cannot be possible. We need to find the balance of care, sunlight, and water, just like a garden!
    It is a good thing to be busy sometimes. No time for ED to creep in!
    xxx
    Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful analogy! I love it :)

    Hope all is well, and you are busy with things you like!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great comparison, Aimee! Recovery is indeed like the process of blooming. Each of us are seeds full of so much potential, beauty, and life, but only with proper nourishment and care can we actualize those things and grow into what we're supposed to be. I can't tell you how much better my life has become as a result of proper nourishment, and I really hope that you're doing your best to take care of yourself, because you make a cute seed and all, but you'll make an even more beautiful flower <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post Aimee! I also love flowers :) they are so beautiful! Must make that salad soon!
    Hope we chat realllly soon :)
    Miss you!
    Love Emma xoxo (your little sis)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i, too, love this comparison :) and you're so right - why is it so easy to forget that we need as much love and care for ourselves as we give to others?
    i hope you are doing well, dear. the salad is definitely on my "to try" list!

    ReplyDelete