Sunday, June 20, 2010

"Happy Father's Day"

Hello everyone - i hope you are all having a wonderful and relaxing weekend and celebrating your dads.  Dads - they do so much for us - i know my dad has been my role model since i was a child.  I remember my dad always working long hours - never complaining once just to provide for his family.  I have always had a close relationship with him and just want to thank him today for all that he has done for me - he is my constant supporter - he always encourages me when i need it and has inspired me to be the best that I can be.  At times i feel like i take this to the extreme - always wanting to please him and never disappointing him.  For me i think this is where my Ed has stemmed from - trying to "please" my family.  At times i don't even know what I want but rather make decisions based on what "others" would want.  Silly - i know but these are things that I am slowly realizing and trying to work thru.
Today - i dedicate my post to my dad - the best dad a daughter could ask for.  My dad and I share a love for fresh figs - Kadota figs to be exact.   Kadota figs are the figs that have a green skin and have juicy, white sweet flesh.  So for Fathers Day i bought him a baby Kadota fig for his backyard.  I was lucky enough to find one that already had 10 figs budding!!!!  If you've never had a fresh fig I highly recommend trying one.
picture from "local harvest"

Figs are a wonderful fruit with many health benefits: decrease in cholesterol, high in fiber and potassium and have been found to help fight diabetes. 
No only are they nutritional powerhouses but they taste so good and have been called nature's candy due to their natural sweetness.
Figs are so versatile - can be eaten fresh or dried and used in millions of recipes - i personally love them fresh but they are perfect to bake, make preserves, add to salads or make your own "larabars" by using dried figs.  I also have added them to my smoothies and they add the perfect amount of sweetness.

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday and hope you are able to spend some relaxing time with your dad's.
xoxo aimee

6 comments:

  1. i love fresh figs! my grandparents have a gigantic tree about as big as a smallish room. there are hundreds of figs when they're in season, and they are the best fruit in the whole world to bite into fresh. happy memories. :) thanks for the post! happy father's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimme!! :) I loved reading about your relationship with your father! he is so so lucky to have such a wonderful daughter as your self! but i know how it is to want to please your family, and not wanting to let a parent down, definitely a perfectionist thing that is linked with Anorexia, but remember love, the only person you need to please is YOURSELF!

    any ways, on to a more excited topic of figs!! ahh i saw this post and i was like Oh-my-goodness a fig tree!... ahh SO lucky! such a great gift! I am such a fresh fig and dried fig fan! I actually had some yesterday in my breakfast, soo yummi, they are like natures candy as you said, and so nutritious! :)
    It is so lovely that you and your father share a love for figs, i think it is so great when we can bond with our fathers over any thing we have in common!

    have a great Sunday!
    xx
    Eliza

    PS- sorry for the novel, but we must meet up before i head off to Arcadia for the summer!
    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great to hear that you have such a wonderful relationship with your dad, Aimee. And your little fig tree gift absolutely warmed my heart! That's SO sweet. I've never had a fresh fig before (!!) but I do love the dried ones.

    Happy Father's Day to your dad :) And the best way to please your family and those who love you, is to be happy and take care of yourself <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy fathers day! I hope you had a lovely day with your dad :)
    I love figs they are one of my favourite fruits!
    I hope you have a nice day. We must chat soon!!
    Lots of love
    Emma
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aim, found it! I read through the last few posts and I first wanted to comment on the Whole Foods lady. That's amazing. And incredibly rude. Do what's best for you and don't worry about her, though I think you came out of the situation well. I loved reading about your dad and I don't think it's uncommon to want to please our parents. In the end, especially when struggling a bit, I think it's always best to do what's best for you, not anyone else (but maybe be open to opinions from people who love you). This works for me.
    I've never had a fig before. But I really like dates. I didn't know you could plant a fig tree? That's so cool.
    Love that we have the same name haha :)
    <3 Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really close to my dad too. I love this post. It's so happy.

    I have yet to try a fresh fig, but I've heard they're so good! And I love dried figs, too.

    Love,
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete