Sunday, August 8, 2010

Holidays for Everything




Happy August - can't believe that the summer is quickly coming to a close - it feels like just yesterday it was Memorial Day Weekend.  Although i love the summertime i am looking forward to fall - one of my favorite times of the year.  As i was surfing the web early this morning i across a website that lists american food holidays for almost every single day of the year.  Since we just started a new month - i figured i would educate us all on foodie holidays for this month!!!
       First off August is National Peach Month!!!!  I love fresh peaches - especially white peaches.  have you ever had a white peach???  They actually have a smell quite similar to a rose.  Why??  Peaches are actually a member of the rose family!!!!!  Peaches are a great fruit - high in fiber, Vitamin A and other vitamins and have been found to have high levels of antioxidants - great for preventing many types of cancer.  Not only are they good for you but this time of year they are the sweetest!!!!!   How have i been enjoying these fruits???
      Some of my favorites include:  greek yogurt topped with fresh peach slices, green smoothie made with fresh berries, peaches and frozen bananas, Kashi Cinnamon Harvest topped with fresh peaches and vanilla almond milk, peach preserves on top of freshly made waffles (check out Jessica's recipe at Healthy Exposures for the world's greatest waffle recipe!!!!!) or even better - just straight up cold from the refrigerator!!!!
                                                             
                                                              
                                                     
                                                 









    The other day when i went to my mailbox i was so excited to see a package from the lovely company Larabar!!!!  I had contacted them a while back because i had really wanted to try the new carrot cake flavor as well as any of the minis that i had seen - i think the minis are perfect for a quick snack when you just want a little something - i had searched all over and could not find them anywhere - well they were nice enough to send me 2 cherry pie, 2 carrot cake and 2 coconut creme minis - can't wait to try them all.  What are your favorite bars and if you like Larabars which flavors are your favorite????  What's great about Larabars is that they are all natural - made from fruit and nuts and provide healthy fats - which is what im really trying to incorporate more of in my diet these days.  These healty fats will not only provide us with energy but give us great looking skin, hair and nails !!!!



Well  i hope you all had a relaxing and fun - filled weekend and hope you have a wonderful week!!!!!!   xoxo aimee 
                                                                                           

10 comments:

  1. Happy national peach month! So glad this is the month of my birth - I'll have to celebrate peach-greek-yoghurt-cereal messes ;)

    Lucky on the Larabar front! Do share how on the flavour - the carrot cake one is one I havent heard as much about around the blogosphere and since I can't find em either, I'm planning on finding a way to get them shipped in! ;)

    izzyy
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. If August is national peach month, then August is a darn. good. month. I absolutely ADORE peaches, and I've been making sure to get my fill of fresh ones before they're gone until next summer. They're great in oats, yogurt, smoothies, and absolutely delicious when they've been grilled. I'll be sad to see them go, but fall is my favorite time of year as well, so I'm looking forward to the changing seasons :)

    Hope you're having a great Sunday, Aimee, and I hope your week is super as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh it's ages since I had a peach! Happy Peach Month :-)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Peach Month :) The flat peaches are my favourite!
    I hope you have a lovely week Aimee!
    Love
    Emma
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The summer is rapidly coming to a close I know!! its so sad, but I love autumn too, the colours of the changing leaves and all that! Happy Peaches month! I love freshly squeezed peach juice, its so thick and creamy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aimee I am with you on being ready for fall!! And you are right, white peaches are to die for!! I just bought my first ones a few days ago at a local store and they are SO good!! I like them better than yellow peaches, they are sweeter to my taste.

    I am glad you are doing well!!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. first of all - thank you for the shout-out, you are too kind, aimee!
    and i had no idea it's nat'l peach month! i have been eating peaches like crazy lately because they're so inexpensive. at the beginning of the year i didn't consider myself a peach fiend - but now I'm quite fond of the little guys. Save for having to peel them all the time :P I've just been sticking to the "normal" peaches (helloooo, 69 cents/pound!) but when they're not as cheap I'm sure I'll venture out to white peaches or these weird donut peaches i saw the other day.
    and enjoy your larabars!! I love the carrot cake ones. I also love boomi bars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, peach month!! That´s super yumm ;) love all of your peachy inspirations! I´ve been really into stone fruits lately - guess, my body is simply going with the season.

    Wishing you a fabulous day!!
    xoxo Mel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aimee!!
    Happy national peach month lovey! White peaches are my favorite as well! so delish ) congrats on the mini laras! That is so exciting i love freebies! I hope you've been well thinking of you bestie :) all my love!!! <3 <3 xxxx Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Aimee! Thanks for dropping by my blog! I had no idea National Peach Month existed. Peaches deserve it! I like them on everything.. on my oats, in my sandwiches, in my salads... haha.

    I have yet to try the new Larabar flavours. So lucky! I should go hunting for them since they have a coupon at my Whole Foods this week, I think!

    ReplyDelete